Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Review: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh


From Goodreads:
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game.

Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind.

Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it


My Review:

I love Edgar Allan Poe. There I said it. The geeky little goth part of me LOVES the raven. So when I heard about the premise of this book I was all "OMGGOTTAHAVEITNOW" so yeah. Plus, hot dude on the cover giving me the sexah look. Yum! (sorry I know he's young but still..) Anyways, I got this for my Nook. I started it at about 1pm and finished it about 8pm that day. I didn't read straight through but I devoured it as quickly as I could. I took my Nook everywhere! EVERYWHERE! to finish this.

I loved that it had the potential to be cheesy. I've seen the basics of this book before..Chipper Cheerleader, rah rah girl, gets stuck with the omgadyuck Goth kid. They hate each other then slowly fall in LOVE..dun duh dunnnnn. The end.

That's now how this plays out at all! Hallelujah! Varen and Isobel have layers and depth. There is so much going on in this book, that I would be typing for hours in order to properly explain it. Needless to say, if feels effortless to read it. If that makes sense?

I loved nearly ever aspect of this right down to the baddies and the horrible cheerleaders!

I take notes as I read..I'll share a few with you now so you can see what I was thinking as I read it.

  • "Is this a possible homage to the movie Labyrinth?"-If you've read this book already please tell me if you felt the same way!
  • Pinfeathers is freaking freaking as hale!
  • I'm so sad about the end (omitting because it's a spoiler) I don't want this book to be over! I want to know what happens next right NOW!
So that was just a few of my non-spoilery notes. Anyways, my advice is to read this book. I loved it from page 1 and continued that love til it was over. I want more. So please Ms. Creagh please get cracking on that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!