Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Quickie Reviews

First up, The Distant Hours by Kate Morton. This is a HUGE book. I had to take it on in sections! This does not mean that there is anything suckish about this book! I really enjoyed it! The story is engaging and complex. There are so many THINGS going on in this book! Really, I recommend it. It's made me definitely interested in reading more by Madame Morton! Click the book to get the blurb from Goodreads! I gave this a 4/5 rating. The length is a challenge but definitely worth the effort!

This is a book that I picked up to read a long with a book group. Joe Hill is Stephen King's son and you can definitely tell that writing runs in the family. Occasionally I was reminded to King's work. I tried to "forget" that this was written by his son. I failed. I couldn't help it. The writing is very solid. The story was creepy and I did like it. I just didn't get the BEEP scared out of me. Now on that note, I will say it is pretty darn creepy at times. I will pick up more by Hill. He knows how to put a good story on paper. So with that said, I'll give this a 3.5/5 rating. The story was creepy but not crap your pants scary. The ending felt a bit too tidy..if that makes sense? Everything fit perfectly and that's not what you want out of a horror novel.


Last but not least we have, Feed by Mira Grant! I love zombies and I love blogging. This book combines them both! What more could you want? I loved how this was both a zombie book AND a political thriller in one. It definitely held my interest and kept me flipping the pages. I was not at all disappointed in this book! Each character was well written, and had multiple layers. It was amusing that in their future, George Romero is hailed as somewhat of a hero for giving the guidelines for surviving a zombie Apocalypse. This is the first of the NewFlesh series, and I cannot wait to get my paws on the next one! I give this a 4.5/5.

1 comment:

  1. The Distant Hours is definitely one that I've been wanting to read, along with Feed. I'm with you -- I sort of like a zombie or two every now and again, and well, I like to blog. So it looks like I'm going to have to pick up Feed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!